Migration of Bazaar to Git
This is just a proposal!
The idea is that the development and improvement of bazaar is not reliable anymore. See for this:
- Even Launchpad are now offering git repositories as well: https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git
In 2009, we actually initially used Git for hosting the source code of OpenPetra! We still have some documentation for that in the wiki:
- Costs of hosting a private repository of git on Launchpad, github and on other available git hosting platforms need to be looked at.
- Investigate how Launchpad Git repositories work.
- Investigate if Github, other git hosting platforms or own hosted gitlab is more suitable.
- investigate the varying features these hosting platforms have to offer
- see #Feature Comparison of Git Hosting
- Clients: Integrate git in VisualStudio and SharpDevelop, TortoiseGit in Windows Explorer, Github Desktop
- Document conversion from bzr to git and keeping the history. see http://www.pokorra.de/2013/10/mirror-a-bazaar-repository-from-launchpad-to-github/
- Jenkins: use git instead of bzr
- nant: changes to import translations
- nant: changes to use current bzr version number in the petra client
- Time estimation for switch over
- document benefits of a switch over
Document usage of git on these pages:
- Produce some screencasts for Training for the developers
Costs of hosting private repositories
- 250 USD per year plus 20% VAT if you are in the EU
- personal plan: Micro: 7 USD per month, 84 USD per year
- organisation plan: Bronce: 25 USD per month, 300 USD per year
- difference between personal and organisational: https://help.github.com/articles/what-s-the-difference-between-user-and-organization-accounts/
- mainly: multiple admins
- free without support
- Unlimited private and public repositories
- Unlimited private collaborators
- Gitlab hosted by Timotheus
- 200 Euro per year
- self hosted Gitlab
- Open Source: no license fee
- could run inside ICT
- problem: need to maintain the server. needs quite some RAM. Ubuntu packages are available.
- problem: make available to people from outside, Timotheus would not have a VPN access
Feature Comparison of Git Hosting
- the way that the branches work with bazaar has not been fully ported to git yet. That would be an advantage, because the same words are used as with Bazaar.
- see https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git#What_will_be_supported.3F
- it says: the interface for registering merge proposals is very rough
- poor code browser
- state of the art
- many people are used to it
- Pull requests (similar to merge requests) work really nice, notices merge conflict before you can submit the pull request
- very good code browser, revision browser
- not as perfect as Github, but pretty well done. getting there!
- web interface for browsing the code and revisions can be slow on big commits
Investigation of Launchpad Git Repositories
vi ~/.gitconfig [url "git+ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org/"] insteadof = lp: [url "git+ssh://email@example.com/~tpokorra/+git/"] insteadof = lpme: mkdir test cd test git init vi readme.md git add readme.md git commit -a -m "initial commit" git remote add origin lpme:test git push --set-upstream origin master
see result at:
useful git commands
# do not pull the whole history, but just the latest commit. save download bandwidth git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/openpetra/openpetra.git myopenpetradirectory